Here’s a video on how to make hot chocolate bombs. My tips below.
- Buy thin silicone molds like these that make it easy to pop chocolate half-domes out.
- Melt chocolate (chips or a chopped chocolate bar) in the microwave at 15 second intervals until almost all of it is melted, but there is still some solid chocolate. Stir until the last of the solid chocolate melts. (If you get the chocolate too hot, it ruins the crystal structure of the fat in the cocoa butter and it won’t re-harden very well.)
- Use a spoon or brush to coat the sides of the mold. Put in the freezer (or outdoors if it’s below freezing) for five minutes.
- Add a second layer of chocolate to cover any holes and thicken the structure. Put outside for five more minutes and then carefully remove the chocolate.
- Put hot chocolate mix and marshmallows in half of a dome.
- Add melted chocolate to a small plastic bag, cut the corner off and pipe the chocolate around the edge of the filled half-dome.
- Put a second half-dome on top, smooth the seam with your finger and allow the chocolate to hard.
- Decorate by piping more chocolate on top and adding crushed candy or sprinkles.
- Add to hot milk, stir and enjoy!